Friday, September 14, 2012

1 down, 13 to go! :)

It's one week into the semester, yet it seems like it should be halfway over by now! Busy busy busy! Last weekend I kinda had a bad attitude about school starting, change is always kinda weird for me... It takes me a while to get settled I guess.  But there's no going back now so I might as well just enjoy it, right? :)
 I'm going to be soo busy! But busy isn't bad... AND i'm really excited for my classes! I say that now... wait 2 months or so and I might be singing a different tune.

I’m taking:

One of the most challenging classes for most psychology majors (and the teacher takes a little too much pride in that fact), Behavioral Neurobiology. It even sounds hard. That class in and of itself is going to be a LOT of work, and very time consuming, but should be really interesting too. The brain is fascinating. Wish me luck.

*Social Psychology -- which I am most excited for! People watching, why do people do what they do? Why do people act differently in different situations? These are the things that interest me most in psychology! Plus my professor is a very funny French guy. I LOVE French people! I had him last semester & he’s one of my favorite people ever!

*Adult development -- It’s giving me a fear of turning old. And it makes me want to drink milk every single day. I better buy Nesquik or something stat! :)

*A sociology class that I never remember the name of – This little class is… interesting. Well yes, it is interesting because sociology is interesting.  But the set-up to the class is different than any I’ve ever had. He’s the kind of teacher who jams his classes super tight at first… I mean, I was sitting on the ground the first day for crying out loud! But he knows so many people will drop that first day that it all pans out in the end. He starts with a lecture comparing his class to teaching kids to swim by pushing them into the deep end… then goes on to introduce a killer research assignment that scares away a quarter of the class. Nice. But the weird part is… Even if you do ALL the assignments PERFECTLY, you can only get a c in the class. Saaaay whaaaatt? In order to get a B you have to do all the assignments correctly, and then do some additional work, approved by him, that corresponds to things we talk about in class.  (i.e. extra research assignments; book reports; GRE or grad school prep, etc.) To get an A you have to do all the assignments correctly, even MORE additional work than B status, then, during finals week, you have to go to his office with all of your work in a portfolio and explain to him why you deserve an A and defend your position. He takes the whole “taking learning into your own hands/Know and DO/unto à into/take a step into darkness” thing to an extreme level. Well, Mr. PhD, Challenge accepted. Plus, he’s also rather funny and I’m sure good habits will derive if nothing else.

*Book of Mormon. Self-explanatory. I love the Book of Mormon and there is always so much to learn… this is bound to be a great class.

So there you have it. My next 3 months in a nutshell! I’m very excited! :)

Happy weekend! 

No comments: