Sunday, October 24, 2010

Hint Taken

I may not know a lot, but I do know that the scriptures are the word of God and are here to help each one of us in everything we do. I have seen the impact of the scriptures MANY MANY times in my life. However, a couple weeks ago I started slacking in my scripture reading. I was reading every night, but it was like 5 verses - it took me a week to finish one chapter. It was at this same time that I was wondering what was missing in my life. Good things were happening and I seemed happy, but I could just tell that something was missing and that there were things that I could be doing better. Something wasn't the same, and I wasn't a fan of that.
Well then Sunday rolls around and all of the talks were on the importance of scripture study. The whole time I was thinking, "Wow. These whole Sacrament meeting is here just for me." I could feel the Holy Ghost bearing witness to me of the truthfulness of what they were saying. I knew that by making more time for the scriptures in my life, that everything would run smoother. It was building on my already strong testimony of the scriptures. Unfortunately, as the next week went on, I didn't change my habits. There was a lot going on at school and I kept telling myself that I was just too busy. And I would do better the next night.
Well, before I knew it, it was Sunday again. And, naturally, the talks were on the blessings and importance of the scriptures. Again. This was my second chance. Unfortunately again, I didn't change my bad habit. Every night I would think "I should just read more, I need to read more." But then I would think of all that I needed to do and I would put the scriptures down. This was especially not smart of me because it was at a time when I needed extra strength, help and guidance. There were important decisions to make and I needed His guidance more than anything. Yet, I still didn't do this little thing to help me. Satan was getting the best of me. I didn't seem to have the strength to overcome him even though I KNEW what I needed to do and how it would impact my life.
Today is Sunday again. Guess what the talks were on? You probably guessed it. The scriptures. Okay, okay, HINT TAKEN! I need the scriptures in my life. Everything will fall into place as I make more time for them. I won't let another week get by. I won't make my poor ward listen to another weeks worth of talks on scripture study because I failed to listen to the promptings of the spirit.
These past 3 and a half weeks that I've been slacking in my scripture study I could feel the difference in my life. I knew that something was different, and I didn't like it. Things weren't running as smoothly as they usually did. Now I know why. The little things in life, like reading your scriptures, are truly important. It will make everything else fall into place. I have blessings waiting for me, I just need to do my part... reading the Word of God. That precious book that was written for me today; to find the strength to overcome life's temptations through the examples of the prophets of old.
I'm going to change and it will be for the better.

1 comment:

Zoƫ said...

I LOVE YOU! This made my day.

Hey, you should read this talk I found about Joseph Smith going to get the plates. It's really interesting. My favorite part is when he punches the weirdos (who seem to come out of nowhere).

http://lds.org/ldsorg/v/index.jsp?hideNav=1&locale=0&sourceId=a2b5a1615ac0c010VgnVCM1000004d82620a____&vgnextoid=2354fccf2b7db010VgnVCM1000004d82620aRCRD#footnote1

It reminded me of what you said about Satan trying to get the best of us, but in the end we (and the Gospel) are stronger than him if we try. :D