Saturday, June 8, 2013

Persistence….

Have you ever had one of those moments when you realize you aren’t fully aware or conscious of what you do?

That happened to me recently.

(And this has nothing to do with the humorous but oh so true thing I heard the other day… “You never realize how boring your life is until someone asks what you like to do for fun.”)

Anyway.

Just yesterday I was talking to someone who was complaining about a paper they had to write this weekend. And about all the writing that is being asked of them this semester. I thought about it for a minute and said,
 “I don’t really have a lot of writing this semester. “ I mean, I have writing assignments, sure. But
 “It’s not as bad as semesters past” I remembered.
The person looked at me with green eyes of envy and noted the jealousy and injustice of this situation.

It abruptly left my consciousness because something new captured both of our attention.

Then. Last night I was doing homework… endlessly typing on my computer.
This morning I woke up and finished my homework… again with a constant finger clicking sound.

I thought back on that conversation I had. Then I started counting all the writing assignments I had just finished. It wasn’t until 10:00 this morning that I realized that in less than 24 hours I had written over 15 pages of writing for various classes. 15. And that's a pretty common occurrence too… (especially now with my new block class.)

Psshhh. And I thought I wasn't do a lot of writing...

“That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do so has increased.” Ralph Waldo Emerson


Or maybe I was just blocking the pain from my mind…. Either way, if I’m not thinking about it I’m fine. 

1 comment:

{this is us} said...

This is exactly how each semester went for me too! I remember the countless melt downs I had my first year (fist semester, specifically) I at ASU because of the immense amount of work. By the end of my four years, that "mountain" of work was nothing more than a hill. Moral of the story: We rock.