Sunday, January 6, 2013

How to Make a Giant Kit Kat Bar


This year for Christmas I needed to make a home-made gift for a family of four (with a 6 year-old and a 2 year-old) for under 10 dollars. I decided to make a humongous kit kat bar – because that’s one thing anyone of almost any age can enjoy. (I didn’t quite make it in under 10 dollars – but it was close).


Here’s what you need:

*Melting chocolate – depending on how big you want it. I used 2 packages of almond bark and a large bag of chocolate chips.
*Vanilla wafers
*A mold – I used a long, narrow cardboard box I found at the dollar store. I was hesitant to use cardboard but it worked like a charm. You could also use a garden planter, or plastic Tupperware or something like that.
*A plastic cutting board – I cut the letters out of this to put on the bottom of the mold – But I think cardboard would work too.


Directions:
1.       Prepare the mold. If you’re using a cardboard box, cut off one side to pour the chocolate into.


22.   Prepare the letters. I used a plastic cutting board and cut out the letters K-I-T-K-A-T and put them down on the bottom of the mold facing backwards. I secured them will glue dots (but that isn’t necessary)
Take a special look at the letter A - it's not backwards :( That's a mistake - don't make the same one :)
   3. Melt the chocolate. I started with 6 squares of almond bark and a few cups of chocolate chips – stir every few seconds to avoid burning.

4. Pour the chocolate over the plastic letters about ¼ way up the mold. Spread evenly and put in the refrigerator for an hour to set.

5. Remove from refrigerator and top the chocolate with layers of the vanilla wafers

6. Melt the remaining chocolate and pour over the wafers – make sure you get all the sides so the wafers are completely encased with chocolate. Put it back in the refrigerator to set. 

7. Remove the chocolate and carefully remove it from the mold – the cardboard came right off for me. The plastic letters got set in the chocolate so I had to use a knife to get the sides up but then they came right off.
Blasted backwards a!
    
       8.  Wrap in foil


9.    Then in red wrapping paper

10.   Decorate it to look like a kit kat – I weighed mine to figure out the NET WT. I also calculated the nutrition information but decided not to add it to my candy bar – since it was a present and all :)
                                 11.   Set it back in the refrigerator until ready to give or eat 

And there you have it. It’s super easy and makes a great gift! 




1 comment:

{this is us} said...

Look at you and your crafty self. Awesome!!