Apparently this is the year for c’s.
So, In addition to my efforts to become more cultured, I’ve chosen another goal for 2012. The word is class. Ha, how classy. This idea stemmed from a wonderful quote by the one and only Audrey Hepburn, a very classy lady.
"For beautiful eyes, look for the good in others; for beautiful lips, speak only words of kindness; and for poise, walk with the knowledge that you are never alone.”
Well actually I read that quote and my thought process went something like this… I like Audrey Hepburn. She’s got class. I’m a fan of class. I am not as classy as I want to be. AHA. Goal for this year… be more classy. In addition to being cultured. They will go hand-in-hand.
So there. Now you understand.
Anyway, I googled the word class and what did I find? The definition “stylish and elegant”
Well that’s not exactly the definition I was thinking. Here’s my version:
1. Speak kindly and carefully. Think before speaking. Choose words carefully. And stick to the good’ol saying,”If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say anything at all.” Gossip, name calling, and insensitiveness seem to be the opposite of class. Stay away from negative thoughts and feelings.
2. Say thank you. Let others know you are grateful for them and what they do for you. Including Heavenly Father who has given you the greatest gift of all. Gratitude.
3. Seek Wisdom and learning. In addition to my 50 classic novels, spend more time in the Book of Mormon and old conference talks. Religious, political (Presidential campaign this year) and cultural studies!
4. Spruce up. Exercise regularly & take care of your body. Stay clean and elegant. Dress up on random days. This does not mean being vain… no, no, no. If you feel good about yourself, you will act better. Fact.
5. Shine. Find the confidence to be who I want to be. Respect myself so others will too.
So this really may not have anything to do with Audrey Hepburn at all. I want to become the person I want to be and know I can be. I want to improve my relationships with my Heavenly Father, my family, and my friends. I want to be more self-assured and comfortable with myself so I can be the Instrument I need to be in the Lord’s hands to do the work I came here to do.
Bring it 2012! It’s going to be one classy, cultural ride. & it’s going to be AWESOME!